TAKE ACTION | Today!
Another push needed in support of
the Community Investment Act
Legislature May be Closer to Budget Deal
The Connecticut General Assembly is reportedly getting closer to striking a bipartisan budget deal. We need another grassroots push in support of maintaining Community Investment Act (CIA) funding.
With DEEP's announcement last week that the agency was accepting the next round of applications for the Open Space & Watershed Land Acquisition Grant Program (OSWA), it is more critical than ever that the CIA be fully funded in the budget.
Please contact your legislators TODAY and ask them to continue to support full funding for the Community Investment Act.
Important! Please share your community's CIA project success stories as well as those that are in the queue and dependent upon CIA funding for completion.
The CIA is the only consistent source of funding for OSWA. The next grant round, as well as the future of the entire OSWA program, depends upon consistent and predictable funding from the CIA.
Please take action TODAY!
Thank you for all you continue to do to support land conservation in your community.
Amy Blaymore Paterson, Esq.
P.S. Use the talking points below or share CLCC's Opinion Editorial about the CIA with your legislators. I'd appreciate it if you would send me a copy of your email too.
Why is the CIA Important?
- The CIA is a Dedicated Fund -- It Should be Respected as Such! The CIA was established as a DEDICATED REVENUE SOURCE OUTSIDE OF THE BUDGET to provide consistent funding for reinvestment into our communities for open space, farmland/dairy support, historic properties, and affordable housing programs.
- Raiding Dedicated Funds Violates the Public Trust! The public counts on dedicated funds as a consistent source of revenue in support of important programs, irrespective of tough fiscal times.
- The CIA Benefits all Communities! Funded through a $40 surcharge on local recording fees, the CIA has invested over $153 million for 1,400 projects across all four sectors in 168 Connecticut towns -- and the numbers continue to increase!
- The CIA is Critical to Land Conservation! The CIA is the only consistent source of funding for DEEP's OSWA Grant Program, including staff positions to administer the program.
- The CIA funds Community Gardens! The CIA is the ONLY funding source for the OSWA Urban Green/Community Garden Program for distressed/targeted investment communities.
- The CIA is an Economic Driver! CIA investments boost local and state economies (projects have contributed to the viability of the $873 million outdoor recreation industry and the $3.5 billion agricultural industry).
- The CIA Leverages $$$! CIA investments leverage millions of matching funds.
- The CIA = Jobs! CIA projects have created over 3,000 jobs in affordable housing and historic preservation, and over 28,000 jobs in the agricultural industry.
Thank you for taking action!