State and federal policy has a big impact on conservation in Connecticut. Every year, the CT Land Conservation Council sets an agenda for issues it will focus on during the legislative session. Grassroots membership support and participation is crucial for the success of the agenda.
Annual state priorities include:
- Ensuring consistent and maximum funding and staffing for state land conservation programs (including the Open Space & Watershed Land Acquisition matching grants program).
- Protecting the Community Investment Act which provides funding for state programs for open space, farmland/dairy production, historic preservation and affordable housing.
- Supporting base funding and staff for CT Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) and CT Department of Agriculture (DoAg), for stewardship, management and inventorying of state conservation lands and farmland and for other critical programs.
- Strengthening laws to ensure that state lands of high conservation value are identified, prioritized and permanently protected.
- Providing DEEP with input on state policies and plans impacting the long-term strength and viability of land conservation in the state.
CLCC's Conservation Agenda for 2018 is available HERE.
CLCC's Testimony for 2018 Legislative Session is available HERE.
CLCC's Conservation Agendas for 2012-2017 are available HERE.
CLCC's Testimony for the 2017 legislative session is available HERE.
2017 Regular Session Re-cap is available HERE.
CLCC's annual Conservation Agenda also includes priorities at the federal level, including support for the Enhanced Conservation Easement Incentive and appropriations for critical conservation programs. CLCC provides frequent updates, action alerts and details on legislation affecting land trust policy and other issues impacting conservation and, in partnership with the Land Trust Alliance and other national conservation organizations, participates in outreach opportunities with Connecticut's Congressional delegation.
12/18/15 - ENHANCED CONSERVATION EASEMENT INCENTIVE MADE PERMANENT. MORE HERE.
CLCC's goal is to provide land trusts and other conservation organizations with the information, tools and inspiration to become a highly effective voice for policies that support private conservation. Local conservation organizations can have a significant impact on improving municipal, state and federal laws to encourage and enforce good land conservation policy. Your letters, emails, calls and visits do make a difference - often turning the tide on proposed legislation.
Get to know your Legislators
- To find your state legislators or members of Congress go to the Connecticut General Assembly website and click on "Find Your Legislator".
- Contact information for Connecticut's Congressional Delegation is here.
- Join us at our annual Connecticut Land Conservation Day held each spring in March.
- Send your legislator a letter or email introducing yourself.
- Host a site visit. We can help!
- Invite your representative to your organization's annual meeting or other event.
- Say thank-you when your legislator has been helpful.
- Share your ideas and success stories in engaging your legislator with CLCC and your conservation peers!
Find more Advocacy Guidance for Land Trusts HERE
Receive Alerts and Updates
To be added to our email list, please click here.