2017 Farmland Protection Circuit Rider Program
Attention: Litchfield County Land Trusts and Municipal Land Use Commissions -
You are invited to participate in a new Farmland Protection Circuit Rider pilot program offered by the American Farmland Trust in partnership with the Connecticut Land Conservation Council (CLCC) and the Connecticut Farmland Trust.
Background: The purpose of the new Farmland Protection Circuit Rider pilot program is to conduct direct outreach with and build the capacity of land trusts and municipalities to permanently protect farmland parcels and promote agricultural production in their respective service areas and towns.
We are offering this pilot program in Litchfield County.
Working with AFT conservation consultant Kip Kolesinkas -- with support from the Connecticut Farmland Trust and CLCC -- participating land trusts and municipalities will have an opportunity to receive:
- Direct support in helping to identify suitable farmland parcels for protection;
- Guidance on conservation options available and the respective application processes;
- Assistance in configuring a farmland protection project with agricultural viability in mind;
- Assessment of restoration needs and evaluation of suitable federal and state programs; and
- Development of an RFP and Farmlink listing and assistance with potential producers
Cost? NO CHARGE! Yes! This is a free service thanks to grants from the Khurshed Bhumgara Fund, a fund of the Northwest Connecticut Community Foundation, Inc., as well as the Hunter Grubb Foundation and Farm Credit East.
A flyer for you to share with others from your land trust and/or town is here and attached below.
Interested? Space is limited. We are currently accepting proposals for projects. Please submit by October 1, if possible:
- Name of your organization
- Contact name, phone #, and email address
- Description of Project(s) (Approximately a total of 500 words or less) - include as much information as you deem important, including approximately how much time you have to dedicate to the project, the assistance you feel would be needed, a time-frame for the project(s) (i.e. is time of the essence?), etc.
- Your goals and/or what you hope to achieve by participating in the program
- Email your proposal to Clark Chapin at firstname.lastname@example.org