Stewardship Coordinator – Avalonia Land Conservancy
The Stewardship Coordinator serves to assist the Stewardship Committee and Board of Directors of the Avalonia Land Conservancy (ALC) in the overall stewardship and administration of ALC’s preserves and conservation easements. This position reports to the President of the Board of Directors and partners with the Stewardship Committee Chair.
- Undertake and participate in preserve administration and management tasks as agreed with Chair of Stewardship and the President of the Board of Directors working with established teams of volunteers, members of the Stewardship Committee, Town Committees and Board of Directors as appropriate.
- Recruits and directs interns and volunteers as needed and the work of contractors (including Eagle Scouts), as assigned.
- Attends Stewardship Committee meetings, and takes/files meeting minutes
- Assists and supports the Stewardship and Town Committees in Policy/procedures for Preserve stewardship including safety procedures and signs and development/update of preserve management plans
- Maintains spreadsheets as needed
- Examples of work involvement
- Land management work: Cutting brush, repairs to trails, preserve marking, maintenance of structures, oversee equipment maintenance needs. Work with Town Committees to schedule mowing of Avalonia’s properties.
- General administration work: Timely digital documentation, recordkeeping and reporting. Liaise with Town Committee Chairs, Stewardship Committee members and President of the Board as appropriate. Oversees the administration of grants.
- Building and infrastructure work: Work with volunteer teams in the construction and maintenance of kiosks, structures and bridges.
- Self-starter, able to work independently on agreed tasks/objectives
- Appreciation for and interest in the outdoors and conservation work
- A College degree/coursework in environmental studies/science, forestry or related field is preferred.
- Experience working with and coordinating the work of an established base of volunteers with a wide range of skills and experience
- Physically able to complete outdoor tasks, including the use of hand tools, mowing and lawn equipment.
- Ability to walk long distances over varying terrain with equipment as needed and participate in the performance of trail maintenance, construction and carpentry tasks as well as basic equipment maintenance.
- Knowledge of management of invasive plants and training or certification in herbicide use desired.
- Working knowledge of GIS, GPS, Microsoft Office programs, map and compass surveying
- Must have own transportation.
Avalonia Land Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of Avalonia Land Conservancy not to discriminate against any applicant for employment or any employee because of age, color, sex, disability, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status.
Hours: Part-time – 20 Hours per week
Mileage is reimbursed at government rate
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to Elizabeth Sorensen at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed in the order they’re received and the position will remain open until filled.