Trail Construction & Maintenance Internship – CT Forest & Park Association
Love working outside? Want to gain real hands-on experience in the trail conservation and outdoor recreation fields? Join our Summer Trail Crew as a CFPA intern and help improve Connecticut’s 825-mile Blue-Blazed Hiking Trail System!
Duties and Responsibilities
CFPA trail interns work to maintain, build and restore CFPA’s hiking trails across Connecticut. Interns will conduct needed trail restoration and improvements in a variety of environments. Duties include:
- Assist staff and volunteer trail managers with the construction of hiking trails and trail structures.
- Perform routine maintenance duties such as brushing trails, blazing, tread repair and clearing drainage structures.
- Work in the field, sometimes very remotely, as part of a tight-knit team.
- Camp in remote regions to undertake larger, multi-day trail improvement projects in state forests, parks, and private conservation lands.
- Work with existing trail volunteer trail teams such as chainsaw or rock crews to tackle larger trail improvement projects.
- Layout and design new trails or major relocations and flag sustainable trail routes.
- Perform tool and equipment maintenance as needed.
- Assist with GPS inventory of trail structures.
- Follow all CDC and State-mandated Covid-19 guidelines and protocols.