Conservation Careers & Job Opportunities
Program Assistant – USDA NRCS (Norwich)
Being Age 55 or Older is Good for The Environment! The Agricultural Conservation Experienced Services (ACES) Program offers unique opportunities in Scientific, Technical, and Agricultural support for individuals aged 55 and over to support the Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) through a grant administered program awarded to National Experienced Workforce Solutions (NEW Solutions).
This is a unique program where your talents, expertise, and experience will truly be valued. The ACES program provides an opportunity to work side-by-side with NRCS staff that are doing important work every day.
The position is usually located in an NRCS field or area office. This is an advanced technical support position generally under the supervision of the District Conservationist, Area Conservationist, or another higher-graded employee. The incumbent provides a variety of information to landowners and other program participants, such as specific program and eligibility requirements; guidance on the completion of required program application materials; and explanations regarding contract payment processes and paperwork requirements. Is responsible for processing and maintenance of records that represent the financial and related transactions for Farm Bill programs and the business and office processes of the NRCS. Tracks Farm Bill contracts and technical service provider projects; reviews and assembles documentation and certification required for contracts and payments. Examines files to confirm that information on each document is complete and corrects obvious errors as needed. Enters contract data into agency-specific software programs and prepares reports.
- Production of analytical reports from raw information. 40%
- Processes applications and certifications of eligibility: review payment requests. 40%
- Track Farm Bill contracts and TSP projects: reviews and assembles documentation. 20%
- Annual information system security, anti-harassment, and civil rights training.
- Travel Requirements: Occasional local travel may be required. A government vehicle will be provided for official travel or mileage will be paid if POV is used.