Staff Forester – New England Forestry Foundation
The New England Forestry Foundation (NEFF) stands at a pivotal moment of opportunity for advancing cutting edge forest-based climate solutions across New England and beyond. NEFF is an advocate for forest-climate solutions, a generator of new information and science on how Exemplary Forestry can advance the integrated goals of ecological health, forest carbon, and a dynamic bioeconomy, a conservation landowner that actively manages forest land, and an active collaborator in support of ecologically aligned forestry.
This position posting comes in the context of a significant period of growth for NEFF focused on how climate-smart forestry can be implemented across New England and as a national and international model for climate-smart forestry on private lands. The USDA recently awarded NEFF a $30 million grant under their Partnerships for Climate-Smart Commodities program for the New England Climate Smart Commodities Partnership project. This program represents an unprecedented opportunity to pilot scalable, carbon-saving forest management practices as part of a systems approach including forestland protection, wildland preservation and building with wood to store carbon and displace carbon-intensive materials. Through this program, NEFF will define and implement a groundbreaking and nationally relevant pilot program in New England to build a climate-smart forest-based economy as a powerful tool for climate action.
The NEFF Staff Forester will have lead responsibility for management NEFF’s forestlands including 160 properties and 40,000 acres and 150 conservation easements located in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. This position will be responsible for developing forest management plans including annual harvesting plans for NEFF lands as well as supervising consulting foresters for management and harvesting operations. The Staff Forester will also be responsible for implementing NEFF’s Exemplary Forestry Standards across NEFF’s lands, interfacing with NEFF’s forestry team to connect on opportunities to demonstrate sourcing of climate smart wood supply for pilot projects across the region. The Staff Forester will also manage existing and future carbon projects on NEFF forestlands and pursue new carbon opportunities as they emerge. The Staff Forester will also manage NEFF’s forestry committee for the Board of Directors and supervise a 3 person team of easement monitors and land stewardship professionals.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Plan and recommend forest silvicultural actions on NEFF lands
- Develop an annual harvest plan for NEFF fee lands
- Supervise consulting foresters and oversee harvesting operations
- Track and analyze forest portfolio
- Review and edit new forest management plans and integrate Exemplary Forestry Standards
- Coordinate and track existing and future carbon projects and pursue new carbon opportunities
- Manage NEFF’s Forestry Committee of the Board
- Manage monitoring and stewardship team
- Lead forestry tours on NEFF’s demonstration forests
- Coordinate NEFF’s annual forest certification activities, including FSC and American Tree Farm System
- Contract for and approve forest management activities including timber sales on NEFF lands
- Prepare and implement operating and capital budgets for the forestry program and special projects
- Represent NEFF regarding forestry and forest management on NEFF lands
- Develop positive relationships with the academic and professional forest management community, as well as timber harvesters, wood manufacturers, and landowners
- Respond to inquiries from the public regarding NEFF’s forest management practices, recreational guidelines including hunting, and general property issues
- Advance understanding and support for NEFF’s Exemplary Forestry Standards in the context of NEF’s 30 percent forest climate solutions work.
Experience & Requirements
- Familiarity with New England’s forest ecosystems and forest industry.
- Master’s Degree in forestry or forest science with at least 2-3 years of experience working on natural resource and/or climate mitigation issues.
- A passion for forest conservation, forestry, and climate change action with a clear understanding of those issues and their relationships to forests, forestry, and natural resource management.
- Written and verbal communication skills, including experience with effectively communicating complex scientific and technical information to a wide range of audiences.
- Ability to work collaboratively with NEFF staff, project partners, and outside stakeholders to build strong partnerships and achieve common goals.
- Organizational and prioritization skills with fluency and nimbleness in managing multiple projects simultaneously.
Compensation, Location & Other Information
- Salary range for this position is $80,000 – $100,000 commensurate with experience.
- New England Forestry Foundation offers a comprehensive benefits package for full-time employees including health/dental/vision insurances, paid time off, parental leave, retirement plan with employer match and vesting and a congenial and flexible working environment.
- Location for this position is flexible within the New England region. It will require travel across New England and to the organization’s Prouty Woods headquarters in Littleton, Massachusetts.
New England Forestry Foundation is an equal employment opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. NEFF commits to respecting and learning from different perspectives, reflecting the diverse citizens and communities of New England. In hiring, mentoring, and managing staff, the organization seeks to maintain a diverse, supportive, friendly, and discrimination-free workplace.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample via email to Kim Doherty at email@example.com. Please use NEFF Staff Forester as the subject line of your submission. Positions will be filled on a rolling basis.