Government Grants Writer – New England Forestry Foundation
New England Forestry Foundation (NEFF) occupies a special niche among the region’s nongovernmental organizations and nationally, as well. NEFF is:
- a land trust
- an advocate for improved forestry
- a conservation landowner that actively manages forest land
- a convener for addressing forest land conservation issues
- a generator of new information on issues involving improved forest practices
- a collaborator with other interests
- an organization that generates policy proposals and gets them acted on.
NEFF is a regional non-profit organization with a mission focused on forest conservation and management. We conserve forests and promote Exemplary Forestry to permanently protect the character of New England and the region’s primary source of clean water and air, native wildlife habitat, diverse recreational opportunities, and rural economic opportunities. NEFF has protected one of every three acres of land conserved in New England and currently manages more than 150 properties that the organization owns outright (38,000 acres) and holds conservation easements on more than a million acres. The organization is in a period of growth, having nearly doubled staffing and budget since the start of 2013. NEFF is also a leader in analyzing and synthesizing information on the region’s forests to not only illuminate opportunities and problems but also inform policy on how to improve forest management, both on its own lands and in the region.
The recently passed “Inflation Reduction Act” offers unprecedented resources and programs to leverage forests as a powerful nature-based solution to help combat climate change. The focus of this new position at NEFF will be to tap into the bill’s $40 billion dollars in forest-focused investments that are intended to bolster sustainable forest management and forest-climate solutions. In addition, the focus of this position will include tapping into other existing federal and state programs oriented towards supporting climate-smart forestry and the bioeconomy in New England’s forests and forest products and better protect human and natural communities from climate impacts.
The Government Grants Writer will be well positioned to leverage NEFF’s existing strong position based on a long track record of successful federal fundraising from a diversity of programs. In addition, the USDA recently awarded $30 million to NEFF under their Partnerships for Climate-Smart Commodities program for the New England Climate Smart Commodities Partnership project. To build on this success and take advantage of the emerging federal funding opportunities, NEFF is seeking a government grants writer. This position could be filled through a full-time employee or a contractor.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Study and understand NEFF’s history, objectives, programs, and financial needs
- Analyze the Inflation Reduction Act to identify potential funding opportunities for NEFF’s programs and priorities
- Research and identify other federal grant programs that align with NEFF’s programs
- Develop and write grant proposals and supporting documents with input from NEFF program and technical staff on content
- Respond to internal and external inquiries on drafted and submitted proposals
- Maintain records and reports related to grant opportunities, submissions, and reporting requirements
- Adhere to funding agency requirements and meet deadlines
- Maintain a grants calendar to monitor the application process and track deadlines
Experience & Skills
- Excellent writing abilities applied to develop a strong case for support
- Exceptional organizational abilities with fluency in managing multiple projects and competing priorities
- Extraordinary attention to detail in designing and presenting data and financial documents
- Knowledge of and experience with federal grant systems and procedures
- Ability to work collaboratively with NEFF staff and project partners to write compelling funding proposals and reports
- A passion for the environment, forests and climate and an appreciation of New England Forestry Foundation’s working forest mission
- Bachelor’s degree and at least three years of experience in non-profit fundraising preferred.
Compensation, Location & Other Information
Salary range for this position is $53,000 – $65,000 commensurate with experience. Location for this position is flexible and open to remote work or a contracting agreement. Occasional travel to the organization’s Prouty Woods headquarters in Littleton, Massachusetts may be necessary.
New England Forestry Foundation values the importance of a diverse workforce, supports equity in the fields of conservation and forestry, and strives to empower candidates from all backgrounds to apply. All staff positions receive generous benefits packages, which can be viewed on NEFF’s Careers webpage.
New England Forestry Foundation is an equal employment opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
To apply please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample via email to Kim Doherty at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use Government Grants Writer as the subject line of your submission.