Land Steward – Old Lyme Open Space Commission
Flexible work schedule
The land steward will work under the direction of the Open Space Commission in maintaining and improving town-owned open space. Work will include:
- Hike open space trails on a set, rotating schedule
- Identify trail hazards, such as downed or overhanging limbs. Complete minor field-based maintenance. Report more significant trail issues
- Contribute to a monthly report of trail conditions
- Maintain trail markers, property signs, bridges, etc.
- Install kiosks, signs, boundary markers, and other amenities
- Check and replenish trailhead kiosk information
- Participate in open space work parties
- Promote safe use of open space and respect for nature through contact with the public as encountered on trails.
- Remove trash found on properties.
- At least 18 years of age
- Able to travel to properties geographically located across Old Lyme
- Must be physically active and able to hike trails of varying difficulty/ terrain
- Experience navigating outdoors with maps and GPS
- Willing to work outside year-round in varying weather conditions.
- Reliable, punctual, organized, with good communication skills
- Willingness to use power equipment and to enroll in safety training for same.
- Bonus: Chainsaw safety certification and experience in tree felling
- Interest in environmental stewardship, land management, forestry, or local flora and fauna
Please send letter of interest and brief resume to: Town of Old Lyme Open Space Commission